Brendan, the Explorer

Brendan, the Explorer
Mr. Handsome

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Time to fire up the keyboard

I wish I were eloquent and witty so that it could liven up all the posts I'm planning on writing, but I'm not. So this is going to be a day to day (or days to days) snapshot of what my little Brendan (14.5 months as of the start of June 2010) is up to. He is constantly amazing me and boy oh boy is he funny and brilliant! I know every parent says that their child is brilliant, but he really is! B has a major love affair with two things--books and going outside. This kid reads ALL day. I always wanted him to have a love for books as I do, so I started reading when he was only days, then weeks, then months old. I incorporated reading into his bedtime routine at 4 months old and we haven't looked back since. B will sit for long periods of time, and when I say long, I mean long for his age--15-20 min--, and just read. He opens a book, turns each page, sometimes silently taking it in and other times "reading" aloud. Once he's finished with one book, he casually tosses it aside and picks up the next one. After awhile he'll get up, make sure I haven't disappeared from the kitchen, plays with a few toys, and then goes back to reading another stack of books. This goes on throughout the day. He constantly wants to be read to as well, so we'll sit and read until I need to get up and tackle another chore or make dinner. Charlie started a very cute thing a few weeks ago at bedtime. He lets Brendan get down off the rocking chair and pick out his first book, they read that one, then he gets to pick out his second, and so on. B is just thrilled to have the choice and he looks so darn proud! His other obsession is going "sigh", AKA "outside". He points out the window or points at the door or he will grab our shoes or his shoes and bring them to us. He loves just walking around; up and down the sidewalk. He encountered a dog the other day, barking from an upstairs window in a neighboring house, and he looked back at me like he had come across gold...he was fascinated. So since he was standing there and glued to the spot, the dog kept barking, which only made B even happier. So we could move on with our "walk", I picked him up and as we were walking away I asked him what a doggy says, and he sure told me..."grrrr". Now he's moved on to saying "woof, woof", but it comes out as more of a cough, which is just as cute!



Getting started on blogging again was hard, only because I actually had to start, now that I have written a post, I now know I can do it and it's not that bad. My goal is to write every day, but I'll be happy if I write every 2 days. As I watch a movie or my beloved HGTV in the evening, I should be able to bang out a few sentences, maybe even more! I just want to be able to document all of my thoughts, feelings, and awesome things about Brendan, even a few of the bad things we encounter along the way. Typing on the computer is sooo much better than the written log I've been keeping for a few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment