Brendan, the Explorer

Brendan, the Explorer
Mr. Handsome

Sunday, June 27, 2010

But he'll never...

He's never going to be eating "big people" food...he'll never drink water from a sippy cup...he'll never walk...he'll never talk...he'll never ride on his ride-along-toys...he'll never nap in one straight shot...he'll never like being at the pool...he'll never stop having tantrums...he'll never sleep late.

This is just a snapshot of the things I thought and think he'll never get around to...  I was complaining the other day about how he wakes up so early sometimes and someone commented to me that there will be a point when it will be impossible to get him out of his bed and to spend time with the family--always perspective.  So I've been using that as a reminder to enjoy this time that he loves to get up and be with  me.  I'm constantly thinking that he'll never get to the next stage, the one that will make it "easier".  Most of my friends' kids are older than Brendan, if only slightly in some cases, and I can see what they're capable of, and it makes me want to get to that stage all the more.  I have to remind myself sometimes that he's just younger and in time he WILL get to that point.  When he was 3 months old, I thought he'd never sleep through the night, but he did.  It seemed like he'd be on mushy baby food forever, but now he eats what we eat (well, sort of).  I didn't think he'd start a vocabulary, is he behind?!, but now he can say a few words and that will keep growing.  Right now I'm convinced he'll never know how to ride in his cozy coupe car or figure out his ride-on toys, but if history has shown me anything, he'll figure it out eventually.  And when he does, it'll seem like he never didn't know how to do it.  As for the tantrums, I realize that he'll still be having them at 16.  I mean, hey, I still have mommy tantrums!  And maybe tomorrow he'll nap only once, instead of twice and make a swan dive into the pool!  In due time, in due time.  I can only hope I stop and enjoy the present and not worry too much about the future.

On another note, Brendan is really Mr. Independent.  There are certain things he does that can either be seen as him acting independent or just maybe really, really stubborn.  Today he wanted to get into his cozy coupe car, so I opened the door and was very careful to not help him get in, but just encourage him along the way.  He eventually figured it out.  Once he did, he wanted to get out and then in, out then in, and out then in...and so on and so on.  I eventually wanted to head inside, and asking him to get out of the car didn't work, so I opened the door and went to reach for him.  He had an instant major melt-down...he looked at me all pissy, closed the door, then just sat in the car with his hands on the steering wheel.  After about 10 seconds, he opened the door and stepped out.  Apparently, he needed to do it himself.  It was hard not to laugh at his cute, little huffy face.

1 comment:

  1. I did (still do?) the exact same thing. Starting with, "he'll never sleep thru the night" and now "he'll never be potty trained". They will eventually figure it out and it does seem like all that worry was for nothing! I have to remind myself to enjoy the "now" moments about 20x a day. Love the cozy coupe story--I can just picture the scene!

    ReplyDelete