Brendan, the Explorer

Brendan, the Explorer
Mr. Handsome

Monday, June 21, 2010

Milk woes

I'll get to how the camping trip went next time, all I can think about right now is the amount of milk Brendan isn't consuming.  We were giving him four 5-6 oz. bottles a day...one when he woke up for the day, one after his morning nap, one after his afternoon nap, and one before bed.  The doctor has said no more bottles, she said this last time and I had tried to get him to sit with me and drink his milk in a sippy instead, well, it didn't go too well, so I stopped trying.

So I officially put away all of the bottles and told Brendan this (like he really listened).  He has two favorite sippy cups that he drinks water out of all day (I LOVE Tommee Tippee stuff!), so I put milk in there, of course he threw it across the room after seeing me pour the milk in it.  And he screamed and carried on and threw himself on the floor, this was for his afternoon milk on Friday (18th), then at bedtime, he refused the milk once again, so he went to bed without his milk.  Saturday morning he refused the sippy with milk, so I put it on his tray during breakfast, which he drank as much milk throughout his meal as he normally does water...it's not what he should be getting as far as the milk is concerned.  He drank a little more milk during lunch and then during dinner, but nothing to write home about.  So of course I'm concerned and of course I'm giving him yogurt and cheese to help with the calcium intake.  I just want him to drink his milk!  He was getting about 22 oz. (the doctor says 16-24 oz. is what he should be getting a day) and now I'm lucky he gets 4 oz. in him.   So now he doesn't pee as much, which worries me too!  UGH UGH UGH UGH UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is making me crazy and Brendan cranky, which then doesn't help Charlie's mood.  I'm so exhausted with this and sick of being worried about it.  He is so stubborn for a 15-month-old and he has been throwing so many temper tantrums.  I never give in, but I'm definitely getting worn out by them.  It's as if he doesn't know what to do without having a tummy full of milk--he doesn't play like he used to, he just walks around whining.

I lost it at breakfast this morning--of course breakfast time has now been pushed up due to no having a milk time in a bottle anymore--I screamed at him (of course I feel like total sh!t right now) because he purposely kept knocking his sippy of milk off of his tray.  This resulted in milk on the floor.  I'm on very little sleep, so that didn't help matters either.  I just want to cry and cry and cry.   Oh perfect, he just showed me that he wanted his sippy which is sitting on the counter filled with water, I should be thankful that he doesn't like juice and loves water, but when he's choosing water over milk, it makes me want to cry some more.

I understand that this will pass and soon he'll be drinking his milk like other kids, but right now it's very hard to see that and I'm having a really hard time with this.  I just want things to go smoothly with eating...like they used to.  He's changed his eating habits, he won't eat all of the fruits and veggies he used to eat.  I feel like a complete failure as a mother, who's job it is to present Brendan with the right foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment