Brendan, the Explorer

Brendan, the Explorer
Mr. Handsome

Saturday, December 11, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Helping decorate the tree
I love Christmas and this Christmas is no exception.  It is official that I am more excited for Christmas than B is, but that's only because he really doesn't understand what's going on, not yet anyway.  Every day, a few times a day, I get his attention and talk about baby Jesus and Santa, but I condense it down to about 3 very simple sentences.  I'm hoping that maybe some of it will start to sink in.  I will never forget B's face when I first explained Jesus and then Santa, we were grocery shopping at Meijer and he was getting cranky, so I distracted him with a few of these sentences...the look on his face was a cross between "hmmm, tell me more mom" and "mom, you are crazy".  I think it was the part about a man named Santa leaving him presents/toys under our tree at home...  He adores anything baby, so he seemed excited about this baby Jesus guy...

B loves our tree, he was 100% confused the day we went to get it, and when we brought it into the house.  His face lit up and the smile stayed plastered on his face for a full 2 minutes when I turned on the lights on the tree for the first time.  We thought that if B helped with the ornaments, had ownership, then he'd be more likely to not destroy the tree and/or ornaments all the way through Christmas.  It started off quite well, I opened the first container of ornaments and B immediately spotted my Donald Duck ornament from when I was younger and yelled, "Donald!", so that was the first ornament to go on...then he found Big Bird and was loving the whole concept.  He really could care less about his special ornament series that we started for him last year, but then he spotted the colored glass ornaments that my great Aunt Alice crocheted around and exclaimed, "ball!", he picked up the ornament and threw it to the ground.  Thank goodness it didn't break, but B had a forced break for awhile after that.  He's been pretty good around the tree, but he has his moments, like last night, when he took his Nerf baseball bat and started poking/hitting the tree.  He does love to point at the ornaments and tell us what they are:  "baaaa" (sheep), "Donald", "bike", "baby", "house".  Did I mention that I can't wait until Christmas!?

Hmm...which one next?
Carefully placing Donald...
B's 2010 ornament
Here's a good spot!


The final product

We haven't visited Santa, but I do believe that we'll be seeing him on Monday down at Macy's after eating at the Walnut Room with my in-laws.  (Which, I've never been, I'm quite excited!)  I can't wait to get some pictures of him with Santa, I know there are going to be some tears!

Like this awesome picture I captured while trying to take Christmas card pictures...
I'm done with pictures mom...
Even though he's upset, it still makes me chuckle every time I see it...this is a much better one...
My angel



1 comment:

  1. Yes, your angel is sitting at the base of the tree instead of on top! That is a beautiful tree by the way. Have a great time at the Walnut room. That is one outing that makes the season truly special. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete