Brendan, the Explorer

Brendan, the Explorer
Mr. Handsome

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Eat your vegetables, please! Please? Pretty please?

Brendan has many new things happening with him lately, some are good, many are bad.  I'll start with a positive, as I did when conducting parent-teacher conferences, Brendan actually held my hand about 65% of the time when we went for a walk yesterday evening (huge improvement!).  On to the not so good (but not horribly awful either)...Brendan at almost 16 months old has found screaming.  Not the screaming due to crying, but the screaming because we are doing something to him that he does not want done (i.e. wiping face) or taking him away from something he wants (i.e. the remote or going into the street), I could go on.  He found the scream that is so high-pitched and loud that it makes you cringe and flinch.  The kind of scream that hurts your ears.  He takes pleasure in these screams as well, even when we have no reaction to them, he just keeps doing it because HE likes hearing it.  I just can't wait to hear this new-found scream in church, the store, the library...

Brendan's eating habits are confusing to say the least.  He once ate ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, up until about 2.5 months ago.  What happened?!   I was so proud that my son ate broccoli, green beans, sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, peas, and not in puree form either...the real stuff!  Then all of a sudden, he'd only eat broccoli and green beans, I could live with that, but now it's nothing.  No vegetables.  It's such a horrible cliche about kids and not liking vegetables, but it's found its way into our house!  And I'm so desperate to get him his vegetables!  He eats fruits pretty well.  Meaning he'll eat a peach/pear fruit cup one day and then 3 days later spit out every piece of fruit or just plain out refuse to take a bite, then the next time I offer the fruit cup, he'll eat the whole thing and want more!  At least this kid will eat bananas, I think he eats a banana a day, so we've got that going for us!  So I've been trying to figure out how I can give him veggies.  Hmmmm, applesauce and pureed carrots wouldn't be awful, disguised with some cinnamon...so this morning I boiled some carrots, pureed them and we'll see if he'll eat his applesauce at lunch today.  I haven't figured out how I can get the green veggies into his other foods.  He loves pizza, so maybe I'll make a homemade pizza with tomato/sweet potato puree sauce, bits of broccoli, covered in his beloved cheese!  Hmmm, could be interesting.  I don't know if this borders on desperate or if I can call it being clever...

2 comments:

  1. Have you checked out the book, Deceptively Delicious? (As I type this, Henry is refusing to eat the corn on the cob he used to love...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just requested it from the library! Putting carrots in his applesauce (with a lot of cinnamon of course) worked and I swear he likes it even better than his plain applesauce

    ReplyDelete