Brendan, the Explorer

Brendan, the Explorer
Mr. Handsome

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mommy, Mommy

I was so excited when B started calling me "Mommy", sweet music to my ears.  Everyone warned me that I would get sick of hearing "mommy! mommy! mommy!" all day long, every day.  So far I'm not sick of it...unless it's accompanied by whining, that does get a little old.  B's newest ones include..."Mommy, look!" (usually it's to look at some sort of vehicle on the road)..."Mommy, watch me!"...and "Mommy, mommy, mommy, play trucks!".  Playing trucks.  B's FAVORITE thing to do.  It's even tied with watching Mickey Mouse Club House.  Playing trucks involves me (or any other willing adult) and Brendan sitting on the kitchen floor--him on one end, me on the other end, and pushing/rolling all of his different trucks back and forth.  Sometimes they crash, sometimes they don't.  Right now his favorite trucks are his fire truck and his tow truck.


B asks me ALL day long to play trucks.  Usually I am asked every 2 minutes, especially when I'm doing something I need to be doing around the house.  In order to get things done AND "play trucks", I have started setting the stove timer for 10 minutes at a time.  B gets 10 full minutes of undivided "playing trucks" attention several times a day.  When the timer goes off, it's time for me to do the things I need to do or for us to play something different.  It has cut down on how often he asks to play trucks, because he knows he'll have that specific truck time with me.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great idea! I never thought of setting the timer...I'm sure I'll use this tip soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! I was just thinking about creating an after school schedule for Jordan so he has a routine when he gets home. We do the same thing every night just in different orders and I think it would help him to have a schedule...especially now that he has to share attention with Danny!

    ReplyDelete